Back to Newsroom
Prostate Cancer Screenings
NORMAN – Prostate cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in men, and the disease is relatively simple to detect during its early stages.
September is Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. In an effort to promote the health of our community, Norman Regional is offering free prostate specific antigen (PSA) blood screenings to men ages 50 and older and men with a family history of the disease.
The free screenings will be offered through Oct. 31 at six of the Health System’s Lab Drawing Stations:
• Robinson Medical Plaza, 701 E. Robinson, Suite 103, 405.360.3680
• Norman Regional HealthPlex, 3400 W. Tecumseh Road, Suite 101, 405.307.6966
• Doctor’s Park, 500 E. Robinson, Suite 1600, 405.307.1149
• Outpatient Diagnostic Services, 901 N. Porter, Northeast Entrance, 405.307.2641
• Findlay Ave. Medical & Wellness Center, 809 N. Findlay Ave., Suite 101, 405.307.3754
• Moore Medical Center, 700 S. Telephone Rd., Moore, OK, 405.912.3020
One in six American men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime. If left untreated, the cancer can spread to surrounding areas. However, if the disease is caught in its early stages, men have an excellent chance of overcoming the cancer.
Most men with early stages of prostate cancer have few or no symptoms of the disease. Because of this, screening tests are critical to detect and treat the disease before it spreads.
Men ages 50 and older should make an appointment for a prostate specific antigen (PSA) test as well as a digital rectal examination (DRE). The two tests take only about 10 minutes to complete. African American men and men with a family history of the disease are at higher risk and should initiate regular screenings at an earlier age. Men who have three or more direct family members who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer have an almost 100 percent chance of contracting the disease. The condition also becomes more common as men age.
Now is the perfect time to take a few minutes that could save your life. Visit www.normanregional.com to find a urologist today to complete the DRE and schedule a review of your PSA results.
Back to Newsroom