by Jessica Henderson MS, RD/LD
Q: How can I dine out and still be successful with my diet?
A: Here are ten tips for you to use to stay healthy and still enjoy the eating out experience.
1. Call or look online to read the menu ahead of time so you can review the restaurant's choices and make sure there is a healthy choice available.
2. Eat a light snack prior to going out so you don't overeat.
3. Choose baked, poached, broiled and steamed over "creamed", fried, or blackened items.
4. Share an entrée and/or appetizer with a friend to cut down on portion size or ask for a to-go box when you order. Place half your entree in the box right when you get it for better portion control.
5. Choose to have an extra vegetable as a side instead of potatoes or pasta.
6. Choose to eat a garden salad or broth based soup when you arrive over bread or heavier appetizer to help curb you appetite.
7. If you do chose to drink, try and drink one to two glasses of water in between drinks to slow consumption.
8. Take control of how your dish is prepared. Ask for half the amount of cheese, oil or butter to be used on your entree.
9. Request all condiments, salad dressings and sauces to be served on the side so YOU can control how much goes on your plate.
10. And of course, eat slowly, and ENJOY your time out!
For nutritional counseling, Norman Regional Health System offers the guidance of registered dietitians. Those interested can schedule an appointment for an assessment with a referral from their family physician.