Sunday, October 15, 2017
Have an upcoming surgery at a Norman Regional hospital? Here’s a comprehensive guide to help you prepare.
When You Receive Your Surgery Date
Schedule a Pre-op Assessment
We’ll need to meet with you the week before your operation to discuss your procedure and expectations, answer any questions you may have, and prepare for your needs. These pre-op assessments prepare you for your hospital visit and help save time on the day of surgery.
Call us to schedule your pre-op assessment for the week before your surgery, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. While we do accept walk-ins, please know patients with previous appointments will be seen first. For your convenience, all pre-op tests can be done in one location through Pre-Op Diagnostics, including any EKG, Chest X-rays or labs necessary.
- Schedule your pre-op assessment by phone: 405-307-2650
- Pre-register for your appointment online: Pre-register (Questions? Call: 405-307-2031)
- Print and complete the following forms to bring to your pre-op assessment:
- Individual Medical History (PDF)
- Baby's Medical History (if applicable) (PDF)
- Family Medical History (PDF)
- Allergy and Medication List (PDF)
One Week Before Your Surgery
Attend Your Pre-Op Assessment
An Ambulatory Care Unit nurse will review your medications and consent forms, perform any pre-op tests your doctor has ordered, help prepare you emotionally and physically for your surgical experience, and discuss your post-operative needs.
- What to Bring: Bring your completed forms and all your current medications in their original bottles, including any supplements or over-the-counter medicines you take regularly. It’s important we get an accurate list of all the medications you take.
- Where to Park: Park and enter the Northeast entrance to the hospital. Free valet parking is available for your convenience.
- Where to check in: Check in at the patient registration desk. You will answer preliminary questions with the registrar. (Keep in mind that people with different needs, surgeries and appointments will be served at different times.)
The Day Before Your Surgery
Confirm Your Surgery Time
Expect a call from Norman Regional between 2 and 5 p.m. the business day before your surgery to confirm your surgery time. Please be aware that emergencies and unforeseen circumstances may delay your surgery time. If you miss the call the day before your surgery, please call 405-307-1250 between 2 to 5 p.m. to check your appointment time.
The Day of Your Surgery
Let Us Take Care of You
On the day of your procedure, park and enter at the Northeast entrance to the hospital. Ride elevator H down to the first floor and report to the Ambulatory Care Unit. From there, we’ll guide you every step of the way.
Some things to know:
- Your family will be guided to the proper waiting room so they can receive updates on your surgery and condition.
- When you are taken to the OR holding area, you can choose to go alone or be accompanied by a member of your family.
- We’ll ask the same questions multiple times. To ensure that every possible measure has been taken with your safety in mind, we’ve built redundancies into our system. This means we may keep asking you the same questions, confirming we have the correct patient, site, position, instrumentation and procedure. We appreciate your patience.
More questions? Learn more about preparing for your visit.