Wednesday, October 4, 2017
We hope we never have to see you in our emergency department, but we’re ready to offer the very best care if we do.
Meanwhile, here’s a quick guide so you know what to expect if the time comes.
What should I bring with me?
- A list of all medications, vitamins, dietary supplements and over-the-counter medicines you are currently taking. It can help just to throw all the bottles in a bag and bring it with you.
- The names of your physician(s).
- A list of your allergies to medications, foods and substances such as latex or iodine.
What can I expect when I arrive?
- You’ll be greeted by a receptionist and a registrar who will take some general information from you.
- A triage nurse will conduct a short assessment in private with you.
- You’ll be taken quickly to a treatment room where a physician will evaluate and treat you. If you are in the emergency Department at Norman Regional Hospital, you may be guided to our fast-track physicians and staff.
How long will I wait? Our goal is to get every patient to a physician as quickly as possible.
- Average wait times from triage to doctor are usually within 15 to 20 minutes. This is somewhat dependent upon the number of patients seeking care at the same time you are.
- During high volume times, Norman Regional Hospital expands its emergency department to five teams of physicians and nurses, and Norman Regional Moore adds coverage in the form of a physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
- Wait times for lab, X-ray, and other diagnostic tests will be monitored by your nurse, who will keep you informed of the progress.
- Patients with severe illnesses and injuries must be treated very quickly; this may mean a severely ill or injured person will be treated ahead of others waiting. We’re grateful for your patience and understanding.
What if I have to be admitted?
If your condition requires you to be admitted, we’ll find an inpatient bed for you as quickly as possible. If a bed isn’t immediately available, you’ll stay in the emergency department, cared for by our staff, until an inpatient bed is available.