Heart Healthy Cookbook!
Heart disease is the leading cause of death of men and women in the United States. It claims more lives than all forms of cancer combined. A total of 8% of cardiovascular related deaths were preventable and 99% of Americans need to improve their heart health. The good news is that a heart healthy diet can reduce your risk of heart disease or stroke by up to 80%, according to the American Heart Association.
Better eating habits can help you control your:
- Blood pressure
The even better news is that a heart healthy diet doesn’t have to be boring! Heart healthy meals can be simple, delicious and appetizing for you and your entire family for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
The team at Norman Regional Health System has you covered for your heart or nutritional needs, but above that, we have your overall wellness needs covered. We want to help you and your family stay healthy. We hope you enjoy these simple, yet delicious recipes submitted by Norman Regional physicians and dietitians!
Check it out
Our Heart Healthy Cookbook has recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks that your whole family will love. It also has tips for grocery shopping and foods to use versus foods to limit.
One of our favorite recipes from the cookbook is Cauliflower Crust Pizza! It serves six and only takes 35 minutes to make. Plus you can make it your own by adding whatever heart healthy toppings you like!
You'll need 1 head of cauliflower, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella. Plus whatever toppings and sauce you like to put on top!
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Cut the cauliflower into florets. Rice the cauliflower in a food processor by putting it in with an S blade and pulsing until the cauliflower resembles rice.
3. Transfer the riced cauliflower to a microwave safe bowl. Cover with a paper towel and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Carefully overturn the bowl on the center of a clean tea towel or thin dishtowel. Fold the sides over to cover the cauliflower and twist the ends to drain the cauliflower of excess water. Remove as much of the water as you can.
5. Transfer the drained cauliflower to a mixing bowl. Stir in eggs, basil, oregano, garlic, Parmesan, and mozzarella. Smash it into a dough ball.
6. Carefully roll out the dough on parchment paper. Roll out into a thin layer, using your hands to shape as necessary.
7. Transfer the crust (with parchment paper) onto a baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and add desired toppings, such as pizza sauce, choice of low-fat cheese, lean meats, and/or extra veggies.
10. Bake an additional 7 to 10 minutes until lightly browned.
Download your free copy of our Heart Healthy Cookbook today for 13 other delicious heart-healthy recipes like this one! Simply fill out the form to the right and instantly have the opportunity to download it.
Meet Our Providers
3500 HealthPlex Parkway | Norman, OK 73072 | | Get Directions
Norman Heart & Vascular Associates, Heart Plaza
3500 HealthPlex Parkway, Suite 200 | Norman, OK 73072 | 405-515-2222 | Get Directions
Norman Heart & Vascular Associates, Moore
700 S. Telephone Rd., Suite 200 | Moore, OK 73160 | 405-515-2260 | Get Directions
Primary Care – Blanchard
1019 N. Council Ave. | Blanchard, OK 73010 | 405-485-9321 | Get Directions
Primary Care – Newcastle
300 S. Main St. | Newcastle, OK 73065 | 405-387-3120 | Get Directions
Primary Care – Noble
408 N. Main St. | Noble, OK 73068 | 405-872-3885 | Get Directions