Thursday, December 29, 2022
The start of a New Year is a great time to set resolutions and make positive changes in your life. If you're considering adding more exercise to your routine, there are plenty of good reasons to do so.
Here are 10 reasons why Norman Regional says you should make exercise more of a priority in the New Year:
- Improved physical health: Regular exercise can help you maintain a healthy weight, lower your risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and diabetes, and improve your overall physical fitness. It can also reduce the risk of common health issues such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
- Better mental health: Exercise has been shown to improve mood and reduce feelings of anxiety and depression. It can also improve sleep quality, which is important for overall mental well-being. If you’re experiencing a mental health crisis, text or call 988.
- Increased energy: Regular exercise can increase your energy levels, making it easier to tackle daily tasks and activities. This can be especially beneficial if you're feeling tired or sluggish due to stress or a sedentary lifestyle.
- Improved cognitive function: Exercise has been shown to improve memory, concentration, and problem-solving skills, which can help you be more productive at work or school. This can be especially helpful if you're feeling mentally drained or experiencing brain fog.
- Stronger bones and muscles: Regular exercise can help build and maintain strong bones and muscles, which can help prevent osteoporosis and other age-related muscle loss. Strong bones and muscles are also important for maintaining good balance and reducing the risk of falls and injuries.
- Better sexual health: Exercise can improve circulation, which can lead to improved sexual function and a healthier sex life. It can also increase libido and boost self-confidence, which can improve relationships and overall well-being.
- Improved self-esteem and body image: Regular exercise can help you feel better about your appearance and increase your self-confidence. This can be especially beneficial if you're feeling self-conscious about your body or struggling with body image issues.
- Improved sleep: Exercise has been shown to improve sleep quality, which can help you feel more rested and alert during the day. If you're struggling with insomnia or other sleep issues, adding more exercise to your routine may help.
- Increased social connections: Many exercise activities, such as group fitness classes or team sports, provide opportunities for social interaction, which can help improve your mental well-being and provide a sense of community. This can be especially beneficial if you're feeling isolated or disconnected from others.
- Increased lifespan: Regular exercise has been shown to increase lifespan and reduce the risk of premature death from a variety of causes. By adding more exercise to your routine, you can potentially add years to your life and enjoy a higher quality of life in the process.
Norman Regional Health Club is a great way to break old habits and get into an exercise routine. The Health Club is a place where you can achieve your fitness goals, where you can relax and where you can feel confident knowing a staff of highly-trained professionals is there to guide you.
The Health Club is committed to be your ally in not only exercise, but to total wellness and a healthy lifestyle. The club offers exercise and fitness classes 7-days a week.
There are many ways to incorporate exercise into your routine, and it's important to find activities that you enjoy. Some options include walking or biking for transportation, taking up a new sport or fitness class, or simply going for a hike or jog in the great outdoors.
If you’re stuck at an office desk it’s important to keep moving, try desk pushups. According to the website Healthline, face your desk and lean against it, with your hands slightly wider than your shoulders and your arms straight. Lower yourself until your chest almost reaches your desk, then return to the starting position. Repeat for at least 10 reps.
It's also important to speak with your healthcare provider before starting any new exercise program, especially if you have any underlying health conditions.
Overall, the benefits of regular exercise are numerous and far-reaching. From improving physical and mental health to increasing energy and lifespan, there are many good reasons to make exercise a regular part of your routine in the New Year.
So, if you're not already exercising regularly, consider starting today – your body and mind will thank you for it. Make exercise a part of your New Year resolution and see the difference it can make in your life.
Norman Regional is committed to your health and offers a weight loss program through Journey Clinic. People who are at least 100 pounds over their ideal body weight suffer serious health risks and may face discrimination, ridicule and misunderstanding. The weight loss doctors and medical staff believes in improving every aspect of a patient’s life.