Your nursing career is just the beginning
Beginning your nursing career is a significant transition. You have questions, need advice and you want support. The Vizient/AACN™ Nurse Residency Program at Norman Regional Health System is designed to bridge the gap between the student nurse and accomplished professional.
Norman Regional is committed to ensuring you have the necessary tools to make this transition a successful one. Norman Regional is the first hospital system in Oklahoma to offer the Vizient/AACN™ Nurse Residency curriculum.
Deciding to join the Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program at Norman Regional Hospital is an opportunity to make a huge difference in your nursing career.
Mission: To facilitate and support the graduate nurse in acquisition and assimilation of knowledge, skills and research during the transition from novice to competent, confident nursing professional.
Vision: To produce the next generation of nursing leaders empowered and focused on the delivery of safe patient care.
Why you should consider the Vizient/AACN™ Nurse Residency Program at Norman Regional Hospital. At the conclusion of the program at, you will:
- Make the transition from an advanced beginner nurse to competent professional nurse in the clinical environment.
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and performance.
- Provide key clinical nursing leadership at the point of care.
- Strengthen your commitment to nursing as a professional career choice.
- Incorporate research-based evidence linked to practice outcomes into the care you provide.
What does the program entail?
- One-year commitment to attend mandatory monthly four-hour seminars.
- Participate in group evidence-based practice project to influence patient care on your assigned unit.
- Comprehensive transition-to-practice curriculum designed to:
- Help manage stress
- Enhance your decision-making skills
- Improve critical-thinking skills
- Facilitate patient safety
- Provide mentorship throughout your transition to practice period.
The Norman Regional Health System Nurse Residency Program has received accreditation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center Practice Transition Accreditation Program (PTAP) becoming the first in the state of Oklahoma to achieve this distinction. The PTAP sets the global standard for residency programs that transition nurses into new practice settings.
Norman Regional’s evidence-based curriculum offers residents a collaborative learning environment to successfully transition into clinical practice. Residents are given the opportunity to work alongside experienced staff and learn in a real-life setting to be better prepared and more confident as they enter the workforce. With the PTAP accreditation, the Norman Regional Nurse Residency Program has demonstrated and continues to ensure quality of residency program content, knowledge and experience of faculty, evidence-based practice, satisfaction of residents and improved patient care and outcomes.
Norman Regional Health System Nurse Residency Program is accredited as a Practice Transition Program by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation in Practice Transition Programs.
The current sites included in this accreditation designation are:
- Norman Regional Hospital
- Norman Regional HealthPlex Heart Hospital
The current workplace settings included in this accreditation designation are:
- Step Down
- Critical Care
- Labor & Delivery
- Operating Room
- Emergency Department
Julia Burleson, BSN, RN, CHCR
Professional Healthcare Recruiter
901 N. Porter Ave.
Norman, Ok 73069
Cassie Chaffin, BSN, RN-CCRN-K
Nurse Residency Coordinator
901 N. Porter Ave.
Norman, Ok 73069